Thursday, January 24, 2013

Team Spirit

Now that we know the two teams who will be playing for a Super Bowl title, we will be hearing more about the various "sub-text" of the game, along with back-stories, profiles, and plenty of dramatic license.  And there is much to be said for Team Spirit.  People will no doubt be cheering for their team, and I'm sure Super Bowl memorabilia and attire surrounding the game is spiking.

Super Bowls are fun.  And there is a kind of enthusiasm and spirit surrounding the game that can be contagious.

But the church--and our respective congregations--can be contagious, too.  If we look for the sub-text and the dramas being played out in our faith, we can find them.  I know I'm enthused!

This past week I had a conversation with a young man who asked me a personal question.  He wanted to know:  "How have you been able to remain a pastor for thirty years when the burnout rate is so high?"

I didn't answer right away.  I thought about it . . . because it is a great question.

And my answer was:  "Well, I've always tried to keep things in perspective.  The world isn't on my shoulders, but on God's shoulders.  I do all the good I can within my personal energies and limitations, and then I leave the rest to God.  I also try to remind myself daily that I am surrounded by good people.  The church . . . and every congregation I have served . . . has always been filled with good people.  That's what keeps me enthused.  And if I have a little fun doing the work, that helps, too."

I relate this because I am enthused about Calvary!  We are a congregation loaded with good people--gifted, diverse, willing to help.  

And that's what I'll be speaking about this weekend:  Super Team.  Hope to see you on the field (not sitting on the bench) . . . hope you will be enthused, ready to serve.  Hope you can catch the spirit.      

No comments:

Post a Comment