Sunday, January 20, 2013

Reflections on Dr. King

In honor of the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I thought I would offer a few reflections on both Dr. King and the American dream.

In my library, I have several copies of Dr. King's sermons.  Every time I read his words, I am reminded that Dr. King was, in fact, a pastor, and that his vision and dreams were not created from whole cloth, but from a deep understanding of Jesus' teachings and His example.  And, while King certainly touched on racial issues dividing America, his principle message was the gospel--and the call to treat each other in ways consistent with the love and justice that Christ taught.

Dr. King was young.  He was 34 years old when he delivered his famous "I Have a Dream Speech" in Washington D.C. and he was only 39 years old when he was assassinated.  God uses younger people for great change, and God certainly used Dr. King.

Of course, the dream that King spoke of is still being realized in America.  King's vision--like Christ's vision for humanity--was not a vision imaging the oppressed having victory over the oppressors, but of all God's children, regardless of race or economy or background, living in a peaceable society, or working toward it.

I know that we are striving to create a better society at Calvary.  Each week I see people doing works of justice and care (supplying food for others, helping children in schools, working at Fletcher Place, visiting those who live under the bridge, visiting those in prison) and I see children of varying race and background worshipping together and seeking to live in unity of the one Spirit.  I see people who do the work of healing (nurses, doctors) who help others regardless of race or creed.  And I see a congregation comprised of rich and poor, black and white, young and old, male and female (Paul wrote about this church in Galatians).  Yes, everyone brings something to the church.

All of us can continue to dream the dream and work the work and pray the prayer--as we do in the Lord's Prayer every week--that the kingdom of God may come upon the earth as it is in heaven.  Amen.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment