Friday, June 28, 2013

If I Had a Hammer

In recent days I've been making certain preparations for my mission trip to Guatemala (in mid-October).  This trip will be an opportunity for me to spend some time with my good friend, Tom Heaton, as well as gain insight and knowledge in preparation for our Calvary trip/team going in March, 2014.  

One this is for certain.  Ideology around missions has changed (and rightfully so) over the past thirty years.  United Methodist Missionaries like Tom Heaton (in Guatemala) and Bob Walters and Taylor Denyer (in Congo) are community-builders, leaders, teachers, and most importantly, partners within the communities and constituencies they serve. 

In going to Guatemala, I'm going to strive to leave behind my pre-conceptions and North American ideas about what I have to offer.  My goal, in large part, will be to receive humbly (and even eagerly) those unique Guatemalan qualities and the spirit that makes a mission/ministry work because of the people who live, work and die there. 

Of course, if I can help, and when I can help . . . I shall.  I'll work hard.  I'll listen.  I'm willing to sweat.  I'm willing to eat what the people eat.  But I will also look for the joy and the peace and the healing that is taking place . . . and when and where I can encourage others to use their God-given gifts and resources to further their own communities and build the kingdom of God . . . I'll do that, too.

In essence, I'm keeping it simple.  I have no illusions about being someone's savior, or healer, or teacher.  But I can make new friends.  I can pound a nail.

Seems to me there is something sacramental about this type of missiology.  When we go to a strange place and experience hospitality, friendship, and common bonds of faith and love . . . we get a much clearer picture of what it means to be "one in Christ". 

I hope to experience all of this.  And plan to.  If I have a hammer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment