Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vitamins

As I have aged I've found myself taking more vitamins and health-products.  For example, I swallow fish oil--which they say helps lower cholesterol. I take vitamin E, vitamin D, and during the winter, healthy doses of vitamin C.  I eat other tablets intended to improve my joint flexibility.

At any rate, these vitamins and minerals must be working.  I'm still kicking.

As we consider vitamins for our bodies, we may also consider what we are ingesting of a spiritual nature.  That's one of the aspects of our Methodist heritage that I appreciate . . . we are concerned about the whole person: body, mind and spirit.

So, yes, diet and exercise are important.  But so are spiritual disciplines and practices.

For example, Methodists have always emphasized the importance of assembling together.  It is in relationship to others that we grow in our faith--rarely in isolation!  My personal prayers are not nearly as important to God as our congregational prayers.  Worship is not a solitary act--but communal.  There is much more that we can accomplish together.

Methodists also emphasize learning, and the need to continue to grow our minds.  Outside of Catholic universities, Methodists have established more universities around the world than any other Christian group.  The same could be said for hospitals and agencies devoted to healing.  We've always affirmed the role of thought, and holy conversations, and education in our theology and our practices.

Finally, Methodists have always been a heart people, too.  Since we are to be engaged with God as whole persons, we want to live out our faith with our whole hearts.  Nothing half-hearted.  No half-hearted or feeble efforts.  Work for God with passion and delight. 

We want to do all that we do for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment